Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Stranger!

'O dada!' 

Yes, I heard that call and was on my way to ticket counter at Howrah Railway Station.

I glanced at giant wall-clock which read 4:15 AM.

I chose to snub that Stranger. Especially in the wee hours and in a practically new place to me, that was the better option or I thought so! 

'O dada!!!', he shouted again! I saw, from the corner of my eye, that he took few steps towards me to yell it once more. This time I grew suspicious and hurried my walk towards the ticket counter; willfully turning a deaf ear to that muffler-clad youngster. 'What on earth this fellow wants from me...?!'.

I covered about six platforms across and looked back to notice that he was gone!

Nevertheless, I kind of shrugged off the incident and joined in that long queue; a queue for fetching local-train ticket to Bardhaman. I was physically there, but my mind was somewhere else, wandering in unknown territories! May be due to the, just concluded, journey of thirty-six hours! Still, I had to wait in the queue, feeling each minute like hours!

It was then, that a hand fell on my shoulder! Instinctively, I looked in that direction and there he is!

It took a moment for me to recall that incident. And its him, the 'stranger'! 

Before I could say anything, he gave me a note of Rupees 100! With a warm smile he said something in Bengali. Though I did not understand full of it, I was sure, he meant something like...

'Brother, you dropped this note there and did not hear my call either!'

Phew! I had, probably, dropped that while pulling out my identity-card for inspection.

I was speechless for suspecting such an honest fellow! He had actually crossed those platforms, all the way from entrance, to find me and return my money!

I could just smile and thank him with a pat on the back. God bless you, brother!

A small incident. But, for me, it was the warmest welcome to the 'City of Joy'. Perhaps, that set the tone for my pleasant stay there. 

This incident really made me perceive that most people out there are honest and courteous!

"Onek dhonyobad, Kolkata... Aabaar aashbo!"

6 comments:

  1. Quite nice and dramatic way to put it...good going Naveen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting...could imagine you running away from that stranger ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.. Nice to hear that you could imagine the scene.. That means I have not failed in my attempt to recreate the original scene of the story! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one naveen....waiting for more... :)

    ReplyDelete